Do you want to volunteer in one of the greatest parks in the world and learn about amazing ecosystems that thrive so close to Vancouver’s busy downtown core? Being a volunteer with SPES is an excellent way to indulge your passion for nature, spend time outdoors, and learn about our environment. You can develop useful skills, knowledge and confidence to further your academic and vocational pursuits while enjoying the beauty of Stanley Park.
Who can Volunteer?
You must meet certain criteria to become a volunteer at SPES:
- Must be 14 years old to volunteer with SPES
- Some positions will have higher age requirements
- Educational requirements depending on the position
- Experience – vocational and academic
- Health and physical requirements – depending on the tasks
Most volunteer opportunities have minimum time commitment requirements while a select few are very short-term or indefinite-length positions.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Postsecondary Student Board PositionA new opportunity to join the Board of the Stanley Park Ecology Society!
Photo: Volunteers removing invasive species. (Don Enright).
Volunteering at a Glance
We offer many different types of volunteer opportunities such as:
- Wildlife Monitor – Head out into the park with our Conservation Technician to help collect check in and collect data from the wildlife here!
- Invasive Plant Removal – Get involved with stewardship by helping remove invasive plants in the Lost Lagoon, around the trails and even deep into the park!
- Nature House Assistants – Hangout at the Lost Lagoon, give tours of the Nature House and educate visitors about all things in Stanley Park
- EcoRangers – Roam Stanley Park, help visitors with directions and showcase all the neat landmarks of the park
- Day Camp Counselor – Work with our Education team to help deliver engaging and exciting programming to our day camp students
- Education Assistant – Help support our education programming here, whether that is with helping to prepare for student programming, engaging with classes on field trips or helping the education team with day-to-day operations
- Office Assistant – Be a part of team here at the SPES office and help us with our day-to-day administration
In Addition, Volunteers Enjoy:
- Training, including expert walks, talks and workshops at low cost or no cost
- Free admission to guided nature walks from Stanley Park Nature House on Lost Lagoon
- Reduced membership fee