Stanley Park Ecology Society (SPES) is seeking energetic volunteers to join our popcorn stand team at the Bright Nights event at the Miniature Railway in Stanley Park this holiday season. Working out of the ‘Cob House’, volunteers will directly support efforts to raise vital funds for SPES’s conservation, research and education initiatives.
- Prepare and sell popcorn at the Cob House popcorn stand in Stanley Park;
- Handle card transactions;
- Follow procedures to open and close the popcorn stand;
- Adhere to strict sanitation procedures to ensure a clean and safe working environment;
- Help to maintain an appropriate stock of supplies and assist in moving supplies as needed;
- Answer queries from event visitors about SPES.
- Enjoy interacting with the public and able to communicate in a friendly and polite manner;
- Good English-speaking skills;
- Able to follow directions and work as a team in a busy environment;
- Willingness to work in a semi-outdoor environment;
- Be a minimum of 16 years old;
- Foodsafe Level 1 is an asset but not required;
- Reliable transportation to and from Stanley Park (note that the number 19 bus stop is right next to the Miniature Train area).
Training will be provided during the first volunteer shift and will cover:
- Preparing popcorn for sale;
- Handling payment;
- Safety and cleaning procedures.
The Cob House is open from Thursday November 30th 2023 to Monday January 1st 2024, 4pm-10pm.
Volunteers must able to commit to at least one shift per week. Alternative availabilities will also be considered.
Shifts will be in the evening and generally last between four and six hours.
- Gain fundraising, retail and food service experience;
- Practice your customer service skills whilst helping a good cause;
- Enjoy free popcorn!
- Enjoy working in a fun environment;
- Reference letter available after completion of 25 hours of volunteer service;
- Twice-yearly volunteer appreciation events;
- Access the benefits available to all SPES volunteers including discounted memberships.
To apply, please email Sarah More, Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com. In your email please include responses to the following:
- Why you are interested in this volunteering position;
- Why you are well suited for the role;
- Your availability to volunteer in December 2023.
Please include ‘Popcorn Maker – Bright Nights’ and your name in the subject line.
We thank all applicants but only those receiving an interview will be contacted.