Spend your summer enjoying beautiful Stanley Park whilst sharing your passion for ecology with others. EcoRangers work in pairs as roving naturalists in the Park, answering visitors’ questions about local ecology and providing other important on-the-spot interpretation. Receive training from experts on Stanley Park’s wildlife, plants and natural history, and develop your skills in interpretation and public engagement.
- In pairs, follow set walking routes through Stanley Park and educate park visitors about its natural and cultural history;
- Set up and operate outdoor interpretation stations to educate visitors about a particular species or ecosystem;
- Provide directions and answer questions from park visitors;
- Returning volunteers, or those with equivalent experience, will be encouraged to act as mentors for volunteers that are new to the program.
The EcoRangers program will operate between Wednesday July 5th to Sunday September 3rd.
Volunteers must be able to commit to at least two 3.5 hour shifts each week throughout July and August, in addition to attending all of the training sessions in June. Please see “Training” below for more details.
SPES staff will provide thorough training on topics such as the ecology of Stanley Park and interpretation techniques. Volunteers will need to be available for two full days of in-person training on Saturday June 10th and 24th.
- Have a passion for ecology;
- Be interested in public outreach and enjoy meeting and interacting with people in an engaging way;
- Excellent verbal communication skills;
- Have a passionate, enthusiastic, and confident nature;
- High commitment level and reliable team player;
- Have a keen interest in nature and in Stanley Park – you do not need to know everything, just be willing to learn!
- Willingness to be active outdoors, in all weather conditions;
- 16 years of age or older.
- Gain valuable hands-on experience in public outreach, nature interpretation and environmental education skills;
- Learn about the ecology of Stanley Park;
- Support visitors to the Park to connect with nature;
- Spend the summer in Stanley Park, volunteering with like-minded people in a fun environment;
- Reference letter available after 25 hours of volunteer service;
- Attend the summer volunteer appreciation event;
- Access the benefits available to all SPES volunteers including discounted memberships.
We encourage those interested to submit their interest by Sunday June 4th.
If you have any further questions about the program please email Chris Rothery, Community Engagement Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.