Do you enjoy working with children and spending your days outside? You can help connect young people with nature by volunteering as an EcoCamp Assistant this summer! Stanley Park Ecology Society (SPES) runs outdoor day camps for children aged 7 – 11 based in Stanley Park each spring and summer. This is an incredible opportunity to become familiar with the Park, gain experience working with children in an educational and outdoor setting, and help empower children to connect with nature in meaningful ways. EcoCamp Assistants will be working with camp staff to provide a quality day camp experience for kids in nature!
Alongside SPES Educators, EcoCamp Assistants will:
- Support preparations for and delivery of fun and educational activities;
- Assist in supervising EcoCampers;
- Participate enthusiastically in camp activities and be a positive role model;
- Encourage respect for nature, personal property, camp equipment and facilities;
- Communicate with SPES Educators to work as a team;
- Carry materials and equipment to and from locations within the Park;
- Sanitize and prepare camp equipment and resources.
Our summer EcoCamp will run between July 3 and September 1 2023.
Volunteer shifts will be four hours long with morning (8:30am-12:30pm) and afternoon (12:30pm-4:30pm) shifts available. We are looking for volunteers to commit to at least two weeks of camp (these do not need to be consecutive weeks). If you are interested in joining us for longer then please let us know.
Volunteers must be available for training in-person on July 5 from 1pm-5pm.
- Excellent communication, organizational and leadership skills;
- A willingness to work outdoors, come rain or shine;
- Experience working with elementary school children is an asset;
- Applicants must be a minimum of 16 years old.
- Gain experience working with children in a beautiful outdoor setting;
- Empower future environmental stewards with an understanding and appreciation of nature;
- Spend time in Stanley Park, volunteering with like-minded people in a fun working environment;
- Receive your own EcoCamp t-shirt;
- Attend the summer volunteer appreciation event;
- Reference letter available after completion of 25 hours of volunteering;
- Access the benefits available to all SPES volunteers including discounted membership.
Please email Sarah More, Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Your resume.
- A short description detailing (i) why you are interested in volunteering as an EcoCamp Assistant; (ii) why you believe you are suitable for the role and (iii) any relevant experience you may have.
- Your availability to volunteer over the summer.
Please include ‘EcoCamp Assistant’ and your name in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for your interest but only those receiving an interview will be contacted.