Support invasive species management and the stewardship of Stanley Park alongside a group of enthusiastic volunteers. You will learn about local ecology and conservation issues, take part in hands-on invasive species removal and make an important contribution to habitat conservation and restoration in Stanley Park.
EcoStewards takes place every first and third Saturday of the month, 10am – 1pm.
Volunteers are welcome to join as often as available.
Working alongside other committed EcoStewards, volunteers will:
- Remove targeted invasive species from selected areas in Stanley Park;
- Have the opportunity to support other relevant Stewardship projects;
- Maintain a positive attitude and contribute to a positive volunteering experience alongside fellow EcoStewards;
- Interact with the public about ecology and invasive species in the Park, as needed.
Training will be provided on:
- Identification of invasive and native plant species;
- Safe and effective techniques for invasive species removal;
- General outdoor safety practices.
- Must be 16 years of age or older. *Younger volunteers are able to join with parental/guardian supervision and approval from the Stewardship Coordinator. Contact us for more information;
- Enthusiastic about contributing to important habitat restoration work in Stanley Park;
- Willingness to be active outdoors, in all weather conditions;
- Interested in nature and environmental conservation;
- Excellent command of English language and effective communication skills;
- Reliable and punctual.
- Gain hands-on, practical experience in the field of environmental conservation while working in a beautiful outdoor setting;
- Make an important contribution to the conservation and restoration of habitats in Stanley Park;
- Develop team building skills with additional opportunities to develop leadership skills;
- Twice yearly volunteer appreciation events;
- Access the benefits available to all SPES volunteers, including discounted membership;
- Reference letter available after completion of a minimum of 25 hours of volunteer service.
Check out SPES’s events calendar to see when our upcoming EcoStewards events are taking place. Click on the EcoStewards event that you are interested in joining and follow the link to ‘Register here’ in the event description.
Once registered, SPES’s Stewardship Coordinator will be in contact a few days before the event to confirm the meeting place and time, work area and targeted species.