Stanley Park Ecology Society (SPES) are seeking energetic volunteers to join our popcorn stand team at the Bright Nights Train in Stanley Park. Working out of the “Cob House” volunteers will directly support fundraising efforts to raise vital funds for SPES’ conservation and education initiatives.
- Assist SPES staff to prepare and sell popcorn at the Cob House popcorn stand in Stanley Park;
- Handle card transactions;
- Support SPES staff to open and close the popcorn stand;
- Adhere to strict sanitation procedures and Covid-19 guidelines to ensure a clean and safe working environment;
- Support SPES staff to maintain an appropriate stock of supplies and assist in moving supplies as needed – occasional heavy lifting required
- Answer queries from Park visitors about SPES.
- Enjoy interacting with the public and able to communicate in a friendly and polite manner;
- Good English-speaking skills;
- Able to take directions and work as a team in a busy environment;
- Willingness to work in a semi-outdoor environment;
- Able to lift 40lb;
- Reliable transportation to and from Stanley Park (Note that the city bus terminus is right next door);
- Foodsafe Level 1 is an asset.
Training will be provided during the first volunteer shift and will cover:
- Preparing popcorn for sale;
- Handling payment;
- Safety and cleaning procedures.
The Cob House is open between Friday November 26th 2021 and Sunday January 2nd 2022.
Shifts will generally last four to six hours. A full schedule will be agreed upon before starting the role.
- Gain fundraising, retail and food service experience;
- All you can eat popcorn!
- Practice your English skills whilst helping a good cause;
- Enjoy working in a fun and festive environment;
- Access the benefits available to all SPES volunteers, including discounted events and membership fees;
- Twice yearly volunteer appreciation events;
- Reference letter available after completion of a minimum of 30 hours of volunteer service.
To apply, please email Sarah More, Volunteer Coordinator, at email@example.com to let us know you are interested in this opportunity. In your email please include responses to the following:
- Why you are interested in this volunteering position;
- Why you believe you are well suited for the role;
- Outline any relevant experience you may have.
Please include ‘Volunteer Popcorn Vendor’ and your name in the subject line.