Environmental Educator Assistant
Number of volunteers required: 2 to 4
Application closing date: April 25, 2014
Nature Ninjas (formerly Urban Camping) is a 2-day, overnight camping program for Grade 4 to 7 students in Stanley Park. We are looking for keen volunteers who love working with children in a camp setting.
Environmental Educator Assistants must commit to working the entire season, the length of which is bookings dependent but will not exceed 7 weeks.
Position: Tuesday to Friday, OR Tuesday and Wednesday, OR Thursday and Friday, roughly 9am to 5 pm, May 6 to June 19, 2014.
One day of training will be provided the week of or week before.
As an Environmental Educator Assistant, you will:
- Assist in and possibly lead outdoor education programs focused on forest, wetland and intertidal ecosystems as well as wilderness survival skills
- Help campers set up their tents
- Assist in the co-ordination of meals and snacks
- Be a positive role model
- Gain leadership experience working with students
- Learn nature interpretation skills
- Learn about natural history and local flora and fauna
- Meet great people
- Contribute to the next generation’s understanding and appreciation of nature
- Gain teaching experience
- Reference letter available (if desired) at end of program
- Must be 17 years or older
- Experience teaching or leading groups of elementary children preferred
- Experience in outdoor education or nature interpretation preferred
- Personal interest and/or experience in the outdoors
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and communication skills (excellent command of spoken English)
- Willingness to work outdoors rain or shine
- Emergency First Aid certification required (or willingness to certify)
- Criminal record check required (or willingness to have one done)
Email or mail:
1) a short cover letter (one paragraph in the body of the email is fine) outlining why you would like to be part of this program
2) Your resume
Apply to: Julie Sims, Volunteer Coordinator
Stanley Park Ecology Society
PO Box 5167 Vancouver, BC V6B 4B2, www.stanleyparkecology.ca