Special Invasive Plant Removal Team
Join this dedicated group of volunteers and help manage invasive plant species in Stanley Park. You will learn about local ecology and conservation issues and develop organizational and leadership skills, all while working in a beautiful outdoor setting.
The regularly scheduled program time for the Special Invasive Removal Team is Mondays and Wednesdays from 10am-1pm. Volunteers have the option of attending one or both sessions.
Volunteers will work as part of a small team to:
- Remove targeted invasive species from selected areas and help with other stewardship projects in Stanley Park.
- Interact with the general public about ecology and invasive species in Stanley Park as needed.
- Collect data on invasive species removal.
- Support fellow team members and the Stewardship Coordinator by maintaining a positive attitude and showing dedication while accomplishing tasks.
Training will be provided on:
- Identification of native and invasive plant species.
- Safe and effective techniques for removing invasive species.
- General outdoor safety practices.
- Using GPS device if necessary.
- Gain volunteer experience in the field of environmental conservation while working in a beautiful outdoor setting.
- Make an important contribution to the conservation and restoration of habitats in Stanley Park.
- Develop team building, leadership, and project organization skills.
- Twice yearly volunteer appreciation events
- Letter of reference available after a minimum 30 hours of service
- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Excellent command of English language and effective communication skills.
- Willingness to be active outdoors, in all weather conditions.
- Reliable, punctual and able to commit to participating to the program at least 3 times per month.
- Interested in nature, wildlife, and environmental conservation.
- Enthusiastic about contributing to important habitat restoration work in Stanley Park.
Please contact Alicia Fontaine (Volunteer Coordinator) to let us know you are interested in this opportunity.
Address: Stanley Park Ecology Society, PO Box 5167, Vancouver, BC V6B 4B2
In your response please
- Indicate why you are interested in this position and
- Why you believe you are well suited to volunteer.
- Outline any relevant experience you may have.
A resume is encouraged but not required.