Nature House Host (Summer)
Number of volunteers required: 7
Application closing date: July 3, 2017
The Stanley Park Nature House on Lost Lagoon is Vancouver's only ecology centre. Visitors come in to explore our displays and chat with our knowledgeable staff and volunteer hosts about Stanley Park. Nature House hosts are there to welcome visitors and provide information about Stanley Park in an informative and engaging way.
Volunteers must commit to volunteering one shift per week throughout July and August. Remaining shifts at the Nature House are Wednesday-Friday, and Sunday, either from 10:00a.m.-1:30p.m., or 1:30p.m.-5:00p.m.
- Welcome visitors to the Nature House and share information about Stanley Park's ecology in a friendly and engaging manner
- Engage visitors with the educational displays in the Nature House
- Promote other Stanley Park Ecology Society programming (walks, events, private programs, memberships, etc)
- Organize resource materials such as books, photos, and articles
- Assist in the opening and closing procedure for the Nature House
- Light cleaning or tiding duties will occasionally be required
Training will take place throughout the first volunteer shift.
- Volunteers are invited to attend Discovery Walks for free (naturalist lead walks on various topics throughout the Park)
- After 30 hours of volunteer service a letter of reference is provided upon request (or other forms of personal reference as the volunteer chooses)
- Develop ecology interpretation skills while meeting new people with similar interests
- Spend time in beautiful Stanley Park
- Get others excited about the ecology found in Stanley Park
- Learn about the ecology of Stanley Park and coastal BC
- Excellent communication skills, English speaking and comprehension skills are central to this position (second languages are an asset)
- Friendly, outgoing, enthusiastic and an excitement for starting conversations with new people
- An interest in and willingness to learn about ecology and Stanley Park
- A background in biology, ecology, or local natural history is an asset
- A high level of commitment - availability and desire to attend weekly shifts
- 17 years old or older
Please email the following:
1) A cover letter
2) Your resume
Apply to: Alicia Fontaine, Volunteer Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put: "Nature House Host (Summer)" - and your name in Subject Heading.
Early applications are encouraged as these roles fill up fast. We thank all applicants but only those receiving an interview will be contacted.
Address: Stanley Park Ecology Society, PO Box 5167, Vancouver, BC V6B 4B2