Nature House Host
Application closing date: June 6, 2017
The Stanley Park Nature House is Vancouver's only ecology centre. Visitors come in to explore our displays and chat with our knowledgeable staff and hosts about Stanley Park. Nature House hosts are there to welcome visitors to the Nature House and provide information about Stanley Park in an informative and engaging way.
We are seeking a volunteer on Sundays from 10:00a.m.to 1:00p.m.
- Welcome visitors to the Nature House and share information about Stanley Park's ecology in a friendly and engaging manner
- Engage visitors with the educational displays in the Nature House
- Promote other Stanley Park Ecology Society programming (walks, events, private programs, memberships, etc)
- Organize resource materials such as books, photos, and articles
- Assist in the opening and closing procedure for the Nature House
- Light cleaning or tiding duties will occasionally be required
There will be three mandatory training sessions held on the following dates:
- Saturday, June 10th
- 9:00a.m. to 12:00p.m.
- Wednesday, June 14th
- 6:00p.m. to 9:00p.m.
- Saturday, June 24th
- 9:00a.m. until approximately 2:00p.m.
- Volunteers are invited to attend Discovery Walks for free (naturalist lead walks on various topics)
- After 30 hours of volunteer service a letter of reference is provided upon request (or other forms of personal reference as the volunteer chooses)
- Develop ecology interpretation skills while meeting new people with similar interests
- Spend part of your weekend in beautiful Stanley Park
- Get others excited about the ecology found in Stanley Park
- Learn about the ecology of Stanley Park and coastal BC
- Excellent communication skills, English speaking and comprehension skills are central to this position (second languages are an asset)
- Friendly, outgoing, enthusiastic and an excitement for starting conversations with new people
- An interest in and willingness to learn about ecology and Stanley Park
- A background in biology, ecology, or local natural history is beneficial
- A high level of commitment - availability and desire to attend weekly shifts
- 17 years old or older
Please email the following:
1) A short description outlining why you would like to be a Nature House Host
2) Your resume
Apply to: Alicia Fontaine, Volunteer Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put: "Nature House Host" - and your name in Subject Heading.
Early applications are encouraged as these roles fill up fast. We thank all applicants but only those receiving an interview will be contacted.
Address: Stanley Park Ecology Society, PO Box 5167, Vancouver, BC V6B 4B2