Nature House Host
Number of volunteers required: 3
Application closing date: May 31, 2018
Are you passionate about ecology? Do you love sharing your passion with the public? Vancouver’s only ecology centre is looking for volunteers to engage with visitors to Stanley Park and enthuse them about the natural world.The Nature House is your gateway to nature and exploration!
Managed by Stanley Park Ecology Society, the Stanley Park Nature House offers interpretive displays, guest exhibitions and events to engage visitors with weird and wonderful facts about the animals and plants of Stanley Park.
Learn firsthand from our knowledgeable staff and deepen your existing curiosity for ecology. As the seasons change, you will witness firsthand the ever changing biodiversity of the Park as plant and wildlife species ebb and flow around you.
As a Nature House Host you will welcome visitors to the Nature House and provide information about Stanley Park in an informative and engaging way. Join us in our quest to spread the joy of ecology!
The Nature House is open on both Saturdays and Sundays. Possible shifts are:
- Saturday 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Saturday 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Sunday 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Welcome visitors to the Nature House and share information about Stanley Park's ecology in a friendly and engaging manner
- Engage visitors with the educational and interpretive displays
- Support SPES programming through the sale of nature-themed products, membership, donations, Discovery Walks, workshops etc.
- Organize resource materials such as books, photos, and articles
- Assist in the opening and closing procedure for the Nature House
- Light cleaning or tidying duties will occasionally be required
- Learn about Stanley Park’s ecology and share your enthusiasm with others
- Develop ecology interpretation skills while meeting new people with similar interests
- Volunteers are invited to attend Discovery Walks for free (naturalist-led walks on various topics)
- After 30 hours of volunteer service, a letter of reference is provided upon request (or other forms of personal reference as the volunteer chooses)
- Spend part of your weekend in beautiful Stanley Park!
- Friendly, outgoing, enthusiastic and eager to start conversations with new people
- Excellent communication skills; English speaking and comprehension skills are central to this position (second languages are an asset)
- An interest in and willingness to learn about ecology and Stanley Park
- Prepared to commit to a weekly schedule
- A background in biology, ecology, or local natural history is beneficial
- 17 years or older
Please email the following:
1) A short description outlining why you would like to be a Nature House Host
2) Your resume
Apply to: Tobias Jones, Volunteer Coordinator at: email@example.com
Please put: "Nature House Host" - and your name in Subject Heading.
Early applications are encouraged as these roles fill up quickly. We thank all applicants but only those receiving an interview will be contacted.
Address: Stanley Park Ecology Society, PO Box 5167, Vancouver, BC V6B 4B2