Invasive Plant Surveyor
Number of volunteers required: 10
SPES is seeking knowledgeable, passionate, and self-motivated individuals to work as a team to support the invasive species mapping project in Stanley Park. Please note that this is an ongoing project. If you are interested in this project, or would like to learn more about future opportunities, please email Tobias Jones, Volunteer Coordinator at: email@example.com.
Mapping surveys run on the following days:
- Wednesday: 10:00a.m. to 2:00p.m.
- Fridays: 10:00a.m. to 2:00p.m.
Volunteers are free to contribute to one or both surveys.
UPDATE: Our Wednesday team is currently full but we are still looking for volunteers for our Friday team and are launching a team on Thursdays due to high demand.
This position will include assisting a team leader to collect invasive plant location data using GIS software. SPES is excited to recruit motivated individuals who have experience in the following: plant identification in coastal western hemlock ecosystems and/or the ability to ID plants using a field guide; interest in invasive plant management; knowledge of basic ArcGIS methods and functions; and a desire to spend time in an outdoor field setting.
Training will be performed "on the job."
- Gain volunteer experience in the field of environmental conservation while working in a beautiful outdoor setting
- Make an important contribution to the conservation and restoration of habitats in Stanley Park
- Develop team building, leadership, and project organization skills
- Twice yearly volunteer appreciation events
- Letter of reference available after a minimum 30 hours of service
- Strong plant ID skills or the passion to quickly learn a multitude of local plant species
- Knowledge of basic ArcGIS functions and methods
- Interest in invasive plant management
- Interest in working outside in Stanley Park
Please email the following:
1) A cover letter
2) Your resume
Apply to: Tobias Jones, Volunteer Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put: "Invasive Plant Surveyor" - and your name in Subject Heading.
We thank all applicants but only those receiving an interview will be contacted.