EcoStewards Team Leader
The Eco Stewards Team Leader provides essential support to the running of customized and regular stewardship programs in Stanley Park, specifically the EcoStewards volunteer program. The Team Leader assists the program leader by preparing and cleaning tools, setting up the event room, gathering safety equipment and tools, helping to transport supplies to the work site, and providing support during the event to the program leader and volunteers.
4 – 5 hours per week (Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.)
Long-term commitment preferred but not required
Sometimes called on for special events on other days of the week
- Prepare equipment, tools, safety gear, snacks, and other items prior to the event
- Assist arriving volunteers to sign in, and provide appropriate forms to new volunteers
- Maintain a clean and organized storage room
- Provide guidance and assistance to volunteers participating in the program; usually includes helping to identify plants, providing a demonstration to proper removal techniques, etc.
- Help to transport equipment to the work site
- Ensure worksite is clean and free of garbage / debris / tools after event, and that all tools are cleaned and put away
- Gain volunteer experience in the field of environmental conservation while working in a beautiful outdoor setting
- Make an important contribution to the conservation and restoration of habitats in Stanley Park
- Develop team building, leadership, and project organization skills
- Twice yearly volunteer appreciation events
- Letter of reference available after a minimum 30 hours of service
- Currently enrolled in, or a graduate of, an environmental program such as science, environmental restoration, environmental geography, biology, or other related discipline
- Basic knowledge and understanding of Western hemlock biogeoclimatic zone and ecology of Stanley Park
- First Aid qualification an advantage
- Enthusiastic and comfortable speaking to groups
- Genuine interest in environmental stewardship, community volunteer engagement, and environmental non-profits
Please contact Kari Pocock (Stewardship Coordinator) if you are interested in this opportunity.
Address: Stanley Park Ecology Society, PO Box 5167, Vancouver, BC V6B 4B2
For email applications, please put job title – “Stewardship Volunteer Leader” – and your name in the subject heading.
In your response, along with your resume please:
- Indicate why you are interested in this position
- Indicate why you believe you are well suited to volunteer for this position
- Outline any relevant experience you may have