Do you enjoy working with children and spending time outdoors? You can help connect young people with nature by volunteering as an EcoCamp Assistant this summer!
Stanley Park Ecology Society (SPES) runs outdoor day camps for children ages 7 – 11 based in Stanley Park each spring and summer. This is an incredible opportunity to become familiar with the Park, gain experience working with children in an educational & outdoor setting, and help empower children to connect with nature in meaningful ways. EcoCamp Assistants will be working with camp staff to provide a quality day camp experience for kids in nature!
We are looking for multiple camp assistants to help with EcoCamp. Applicants must be available for a 5-hour training session on June 29 and June 30th, and commit to at least one week of camp (4 hour shifts).
EcoCamps run July 5 – September 3, 2021.
Applicants must be available for a 5-hour training session during the weekend of June 26- 27, and commit to at least one week of camp (4 hour shifts).
- Assist environmental educators in supervising campers and running activities
- Be a positive role model to the children and to the other assistant counsellors
- Provide leadership and participate enthusiastically in camp activities
- Encourage respect for nature, personal property, camp equipment, and facilities
- Communicate with SPES staff and other assistant counsellors to work as a team
- Carry materials and equipment to and from locations within the Park
- Help ensure campers are following Covid-19 guidelines
- Sanitize and prepare camp equipment and resources
- Gain leadership and teaching experience working with children
- Build your resume
- Network with other great people
- Contribute to the next generation’s understanding and appreciation of nature
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and communication skills
- Willingness to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Ability to pass a criminal record check with vulnerable sector search
- Experience working with elementary school children would be an asset
- Applicants must be at minimum currently enrolled in grade 11
Application ProcedureEmail Justine Kaseman, Camp Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your email should include:
- A short description outlining why you would like to be part of this program
- Your resume
Please put: "EcoCamp Assistant" - and your name in Subject Heading.
Ex: EcoCamp Assistant – Jane Doe
We thank all applicants but only those receiving an interview will be contacted.