Eco Camp Assistant, Summer 2019
Number of volunteers required: 6
Application closing date: July 1, 2019
DescriptionDo you like working with children and spending time outdoors? Tap into your passion and help connect young people with nature by being an Eco Camp Assistant this summer! This summer, Stanley Park Ecology Society is running day camps for children ages 7 – 11 in Stanley Park. This is an incredible learning opportunity for volunteers to become more familiar with outdoor leadership and develop skills working with children. It is also a chance to empower children to connect with nature in meaningful ways.
Time commitmentWe are looking for six volunteers per week to help with Eco Camp. Volunteers must commit to at least a one week session between July 8th and August 30th and can choose a half-day morning or afternoon shift.
DutiesAs an Eco Camp Assistant, you will:
- Assist Camp Leaders with various camp activities and supervision of campers
- Oversee Eco Camp aftercare (4:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m.)
- Be a positive role model to the children at camp and to the other camp assistants
TrainingTraining will occur 'on the job'.
- Gain leadership experience working with children
- Develop environmental education skills
- Become familiar with local ecosystems, plants and animals
- Network with professional environmental educators
- Meet like minded people
- Contribute to the next generation’s understanding and appreciation of nature
- Attend the season-end volunteer appreciation party.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and communication skills
- Willingness to work outdoors, rain or shine
- Experience working with elementary school children would be an asset but not required
- Applicants must be at minimum currently enrolled in grade 11
Email your cover letter and resume to: Tobias Jones, Volunteer Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put "Eco Camp Assistant" -and your name in Subject Heading.
We thank all applicants but only those selected will be contacted.