Creatures of the Night Volunteers
Number of volunteers required: 28
Application closing date: October 1, 2018
Join SPES’ Creatures of the Night team and use your creative skills to connect people with nature in Stanley Park.
To help the Stanley Park Ecology Society (SPES) deliver an entertaining and educational nature program that take place in partnership with the Halloween Ghost Train in Stanley Park.
Information Station Attendants
- Engaging visitors with information about wildlife using different animal props and costumes.
- Educating visitors about ecology through interactive displays
This popular event runs for three weeks in October with training taking place during the beginning of October. Volunteers must be able to commit a minimum of 1 shift (3-4 hours) per week. Shifts are available Monday - Sunday evenings, as well as Friday - Sunday during the daytime. You are NOT required to volunteer on Thanksgiving Day.
- Provide educational information that encourages respect and understanding for wildlife.
- Answer visitor questions, provide directions and share information about SPES.
- Dress in SPES, Hallowe’en, or animal actor costume
Training will take place on Thursday, October 4 from 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. and Wednesday, October 10 from 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. Please specify in your application if you’re unable to make either of the training dates.
- Explore a career in environmental education and nature interpretation
- Participate in an entertaining and educational program.
- Develop communication, team work, and public speaking skills.
- Cultivate new friendships, a deeper environmental understanding, and acquire student volunteer hours.
- Minimum 14 years of age
- Good command of spoken English
- Enthusiasm, creativity, and a passion for connecting people with nature
- Reliable and able to commit for the duration of the event
- Interested in nature, wildlife, and environmental education