Co-Existing with Coyotes Volunteer
The longest running coyote co-existence program in North America needs your help. Coyotes are very adaptable and thrive in urban environments. Co-Existing with Coyotes works to raise awareness of these wild urban canids and to reduce conflict between people, pets, and coyotes.
That’s where you come in! We need your help responding to reports from the public and educating them about how to live peacefully with coyotes in our community.
We ask that you are able to respond to calls at least once per week—especially on weekends. Each session takes on average 15-30 minutes but will depend on how many reports are received. There is also an opportunity for data entry and mapping in the office once per week. Shifts are flexible and typically last 1-2 hours.
- Responding to phone calls and suggesting measures to prevent human/coyote conflict
- Answering questions regarding coyote natural history
- Notifying the coordinator of emergency situations or sightings of aggressive coyotes
- Entering coyote sighting information into our database
- Mapping sightings on our interactive map
- Urban coyote ecology and natural history
- Management practices for Vancouver’s urban coyotes
- Use of Access and Google forms for inputting coyote sightings
- Gain volunteer experience in the field of environmental conservation
- Make an important contribution to the safety of people, pets, and coyotes
- Twice yearly volunteer appreciation events
- Letter of references available after a minimum 30 hours of service
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Excellent command of English language and effective communication skills
- Pleasant and polite telephone manner; able to deal with confrontation in a positive manner
- Able to remain calm while discussing topics that inspire strong emotions and varying opinions
- An interest in environmental issues and/or urban wildlife
Please contact Tobias Jones (Volunteer Coordinator) to let us know you are interested in this opportunity.
In your response, please
- Indicate why you are interested in this position
- Why you believe you are well suited to volunteer
- Outline any relevant experience you may have
A resume is encouraged but not required.