Beaver Count and Activity Survey Volunteers
Number of volunteers required: 8
Application closing date: August 12, 2018
Join us for our Beaver Count and Activity Survey to determine beaver numbers and age distribution in Stanley Park. Volunteers will be trained by SPES Conservation Technician to monitor beaver activities at both Lost Lagoon and Beaver Lake.
Each lake will be monitored by a team of 2-3 people with surveys occurring at dawn or dusk, depending on sighting success. The role will also include some data entry into a Google Spreadsheet.
- Surveys will take place twice weekly at dawn or dusk, for one month starting in the last week of August.
- Each survey will take 2 hours (including 30 minutes of data entry) twice a week, totaling 16 hours commitment.
- Carry out the survey of beaver activities at one of the two sites (Beaver Lake and Lost Lagoon)
- Work effectively in a small team to ensure there are no repeat counts and that all activity is logged
- Enter results of the survey into a Google Spreadsheet
- Enter volunteer hours
- Gain volunteer experience in the field of environmental conservation and wildlife monitoring while working in a beautiful outdoor setting
- Make an important contribution to the conservation and restoration of habitats in Stanley Park
- Twice yearly volunteer appreciation events
- Let us know if you prefer working at dusk or at dawn
- Volunteers should enjoy being outdoors and observing wildlife for extended periods in all weather conditions and at various times of day and evening.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability and willingness to work independently
- Given the timing of the survey, if you are under 18 years old, you will need to be accompanied by an adult
Please email the following:
- Why you are interested in this position
- Why you believe you are well suited for this position
- Your resume
- Your availabilities, with preferred day(s) of the week and time(s) of the day: dusk and/or dawn
Apply to: Ariane Comeau, Conservation Technician at: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject heading of your email, please put: “Beaver Survey Volunteer – Your name”