DescriptionStanley Park Ecology Society promotes awareness of and respect for the natural world through collaborative leadership in environmental education, research, and conservation in Stanley Park. We believe that employees from diverse experiences and identities strengthen our team and capacity to do the work needed. We celebrate diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace that reflects and expands the community that we serve. SPES is seeking a motivated and organized individual to coordinate our volunteer programs. This position is responsible for the recruitment, orientation and support of volunteers working in the activities and programs of the organization.
- Work with staff to create job descriptions for volunteer opportunities in different areas such as: events, programs, activities, volunteer internships, fundraising, and administration, and recruit accordingly; manage the Volunteer Opportunities webpage
- Interview volunteers and find suitable placements as required
- Conduct exit interviews with volunteers at the end of placements
- Develop training materials and deliver volunteer orientation training programs as required
- Monitor volunteer placements, ensure each volunteer has a job description and problem solve as required.
- Conduct regular sessions with volunteer and supervisor to ensure on-going progress and satisfaction
- Work to ensure that the volunteer program makes the best possible use of volunteer resources and provides the best possible experience for volunteers
- Create a monthly volunteer newsletter using MailChimp
- Track volunteer hours, maintain statistics on the volunteer program, and keep volunteer hours updated and promptly available for staff through the Salesforce CRM
- Plan and deliver outings, events, rewards and recognition for volunteers including twice annual volunteer appreciation parties, and reference letter requests
- Ensure that all programs and activities operate in accordance with Risk Management and Safety Standards
- Maintain Volunteer Coordinator Manual, Volunteer Handbook and a related web page and computer files
- Ensure that the volunteer program reflects SPES mission
- Participate in staff meetings and planning sessions as required
- Assist with SPES special events and fundraising activities
- Prepare quarterly reports for the ED
- Work with the ED in the annual planning and budget for the Volunteer program
- Fulfill related duties as required
- Liaise with other organizations’ Volunteer Coordinators if and when appropriate and mutually beneficial
QualificationsRequired Education, Training and Experience
- Minimum one year experience operating a comprehensive volunteer program involving recruiting, training, supervising and evaluating
- OR two years experience involving similar work, training and supervising staff, and, preferably in a small non profit organization and, preferably in an environmental/education-based organization
- OR Minimum two year diploma in a related field OR a minimum of two years related and equivalent work experience
- Ability to develop, organize, and implement a comprehensive volunteer program
- Ability to interview and assess skills and aptitudes
- Ability to train, coach, schedule, supervise, and evaluate volunteers
- Ability to plan and implement activities and events for 50+ persons
- Ability to manage time: organize and manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines, and creatively solve problems
- Ability to develop a diversity of relationships to serve various organizational and program outcomes
- Ability to speak comfortably to a wide array of audiences
- Excellent interpersonal & leadership skills with a collaborative work style
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Self-directed, self-motivated, organized and flexible
- Experienced and comfortable with Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, Access, and preferably InDesign. Salesforce or other CRM experience is helpful.
Hours: 30 hours per week
Pay: $20.06 per hour
Start date: June 21, 2021
Application closing date: June 18, 2021
Application ProcedureApply to Tricia Collingham, Executive Director - email@example.com Please state Volunteer Coordinator in the Subject Line. Send both your cover letter and résumé as an attachment.
We thank all candidates but only those receiving an interview will be contacted.