Environmental Educator – Outdoor Field Programs for Schools
We are seeking a creative, innovative, and passionate educator to deliver outdoor nature education programs for school groups and children.
SPES educational programs cover forest, wetland and intertidal ecosystems and are offered to schools between September and June and to day camp children during summer and spring break. Working as a team, SPES’ school programs reach over 6,000 students a year through outdoor, experiential programs. This is a rewarding opportunity to connect young people with nature.
This contract position is for up to 12 months.
- Deliver STEM outdoor experiential environmental education programs for school students, teachers, and day camp children
- Book programs and carry out associated administration, including email, phone, and data entry
- Assist in the ongoing development of new nature programs and program elements
- Assist in the training, scheduling, and supervision of program volunteers and contract staff
- Update, maintain, and design program materials and equipment
- Other duties as needed
- Demonstrated experience successfully teaching or leading student groups
- Experience in outdoor education and/ or nature interpretation
- Excellent leadership, organization, teamwork, and communication skills
- Willingness and ability to frequently perform active work on and off trail outdoors, rain or shine
- Proficiency with word-processing, database entry, and email
- An education degree and/or teacher certification is a strong asset
- Strong knowledge of BC ecology; a degree or diploma in biology/environmental studies is a strong asset
- Bilingual in French and English a strong asset
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign) an asset
- BC class 5 driver's license
- First Aid certification with CPR
- Ability to pass a criminal record check with vulnerable sector search
Two weeks paid vacation per year
Shared-cost benefits available at 6 months
Start date: October 9, 2018
End date: October 9, 2019
Application closing date: September 19, 2018
Complete this form AND email your application (no phone calls please) to:
Adria Hussain, School Programs Manager
* Use “SP Environmental Educator” in the subject line.
* Attach your cover letter and resume as a single PDF document. Name the document using your first and last names (eg. SP Environmental Educator – MarkSmith.pdf)
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those receiving an interview will be contacted.