Environmental Educator – School Programs
Stanley Park Ecology Society (SPES) promotes awareness of and respect for the natural world and plays a leadership role in the stewardship of Stanley Park through collaborative initiatives in education, research and conservation. We are seeking a creative, innovative, and passionate educator to deliver outdoor nature education programs for school groups and children.
SPES educational programs cover forest, wetland and intertidal ecosystems and are offered to schools between September and June and to day camp children during summer and spring break. Working as a team, SPES’ school programs reach over 6000 students a year through outdoor, experiential programs. This is a rewarding opportunity to connect young people with nature.
- Deliver outdoor experiential environmental education programs for school students, teachers, and day camp children
- Book programs and carry out associated administration, including email, phone, and data entry
- Assist in the ongoing development of new nature programs and program elements
- Assist in the training, scheduling, and supervision of program volunteers and contract staff
- Update, maintain, and design program materials and equipment
- Other duties as needed
- BC driver's license and standard (2-day) first aid certification are required
- Ability to pass a criminal record check with vulnerable sector search
- Demonstrated experience successfully teaching or leading student groups
- Experience in outdoor education and/ or nature interpretation
- An education degree and/or teacher certification is a strong asset
- Strong knowledge of BC ecology; a degree or diploma in biology/environmental studies is a strong asset
- Excellent leadership, organization, teamwork, and communication skills
- Willingness and ability to frequently perform active work on and off trail outdoors, rain or shine
- Proficiency with word-processing, database entry, and email
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign) an asset
- Bilingual in French and English a strong asset
Two weeks paid vacation per year
Shared-cost benefits available at 6 months
Pay: $15.40 - 17.00
Start date: April 3, 2017
Application closing date: March 12, 2017
Early applications encouraged
Complete this form AND email your application (no phone calls please) to:
Dylan Rawlyk, School Programs Manager
* Use “SP Environmental Educator” in the subject line.
* Attach your cover letter and resume as a single PDF document. Name the document using your first and last names (eg. SP Environmental Educator – MarkSmith.pdf)
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those receiving an interview will be contacted.