Do you want to volunteer with SPES?
SPES volunteers are dedicated individuals with excellent judgement and communication skills. They act with great professionalism and understand the importance of confidentiality and privacy issues.
Reliable and eager to learn, our volunteers can be found working on many projects that make a positive impact on Stanley Park while connecting people with nature.
If you have what it takes and want to join this fun, diverse and committed group, check out our volunteer opportunities. If you have questions about volunteering with SPES, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator.
What you’ll get from volunteering
Being a volunteer with SPES is an excellent way to indulge your passion for nature, spend time outdoors, and learn about our environment. You can develop useful skills, knowledge and confidence to further your academic and vocational pursuits while enjoying the beauty of Stanley Park.
In addition, volunteers enjoy:
- Training – including expert walks, talks and workshops at low cost or no cost
- Free admission to guided nature walks from Stanley Park Nature House on Lost Lagoon
- Reduced membership fee
Who can volunteer?
You must meet certain criteria to become a volunteer at SPES:
- Must be 14 years old to volunteer with SPES (we are strict about this)
- Some positions will have higher age requirements
- Educational requirements depending on the position
- Experience – vocational and academic
- Health and physical requirements – depending on the tasks
Most volunteer opportunities have minimum time commitment requirements while a select few are very short-term or indefinite-length positions.
Interesting and valuable tasks
We offer many different types of volunteer opportunities such as:
- Nature Interpreter
- Wildlife Monitor
- Database assistant
- Office administrator
- Outdoor Education programs assistant
- Invasive plant removal
- General assistant
Not all positions will be available at all times. Please check the Volunteer Opportunities page and see if there are current positions that interest you.
Your expertise, skills, life experience, and commitment are invaluable. Without our many volunteers, SPES’s projects and outreach work wouldn’t be possible.