Stanley Park Ecology Society (SPES) is a community-based charitable not-for-profit organization. We are a small team of dedicated staff who strive to promote an ethic of care in Stanley Park, and challenge each other to innovate and advance our mission of collaborative leadership in environmental education, research and conservation in Stanley Park. We excel when our entire team feels supported and empowered. Are you a creative, innovative, and passionate individual wanting to join our team?
SPES’ educational programs cover forest, wetland and intertidal ecosystems. The education manager will supervise 4 educators and coordinators year-round and up to 7 staff during the peak season. Our education programs reach:
- The general public year-round. This includes informal education at the Stanley Park Nature House, small group guided walks, and large event coordination.
- School classes between September and June. This includes half-day field trips for mostly kindergarten to grade 7 students, some high school groups, a unique 2-day, 1-night overnight camping program for grade 4-7 students, and professional development days for teachers.
- Day camp children during summer and spring break. These are weeklong day programs for children ages 7-11.
This is a rewarding opportunity to connect people with nature. Working as a team, SPES’ Education Department reaches over 5,000 students and thousands of general public a year through outdoor, experiential programs. The right candidate is able to balance a diversity of projects and bring new innovative ideas and education approaches to the team. Throughout the year, your time is split between managing four types of programs roughly as follows:
- 40% public programs
- 35% school field trips
- 15% weeklong summer day camps
- 10% spring overnight camps
Reporting to the Executive Director and working from the second floor of the historic Stanley Park Dining Pavilion, this is a core, fulltime position of the society.
If you are creative, love nature, find it rewarding to connect and educate diverse audiences with natural systems, and have the qualifications below, we want to hear from you.